Monday, January 2, 2012

A little Katy Trail etiquette

For Walkers and Runners

• Do not walk/run/meander three abreast. You take up an entire lane and force anyone passing you into on-coming traffic

• If you are two abreast, try to hug the righthand side of the trail. It's just polite

• Keep your headphones at a reasonable volume. You need to hear people behind you as they warn you they're approaching

• There are points where you enter/exit the main trail for the pedestrian trail. Please, check behind you before suddenly dashing in front of an unsuspecting on-comer

• Don't put yourself in the middle of the trail (unless you're passing people breaking rule #1) Don't just ... chill in the middle


For Parents

• In regards to babies, the three-abreast rule applies double to you—your carriages are a huge roadblock and they add an extra level of stress for anyone passing you

• In regards to older children, please don't let them out of your sight. There's something terrifying about a lone six-year-old struggling on rollerblades


For Dog-Walkers

• An idea: stick to the right hand of the trail and perhaps keep the leash in your right hand? Your dog doesn't know the difference between the the paved trail and the dirt just to the side, and it leaves more space for people

• Don't let your dog run crazy all over the place, animals can be very unpredictable and that makes them a huge hazard. If you cannot control your dog, consider a dog park where they can run around instead

• Pretty please, find a visible leash. Those long skinny ones are like trip wires and no one can see them coming. Considering the momentum a cyclist carries, this is as big a benefit for you as for us—the sudden impact of the crash could easily snap Fido's neck and then I'd feel bad because your dog doesn't deserve to pay for your idiocy


For Cyclists

FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST DO NOT RIDE THREE ABREAST

Bells work, but a friendly "On your left!" works better. It's a little more specific

• You are the car of the trail. As much as you like cars to look out for you, look out for pedestrians. Expect the unexpected and be ready to dodge out of the way


For Motorcyclists

• If I see that fucknugget on my trail again I will kick him over so help me ... 


For the Asshat Who Tipped My Bike Where She Sat Outside My Apartment

• She was sitting innocently locked up and not in anyone's way, what the hell is your problem


For Everyone

• Smile and enjoy a beautiful day, a good run, a chat with friends. Respect the trail and respect the people around you and most of all, have fun :)

8 comments:

  1. I was taught to call out "passing on your left" as I come up behind. Still, it is amazing how many pedestrians then move left after they hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Steve, and have had more than one person walk directly into my path after I yell "on your left". I just tell them to "move to the right" - it works better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since putting my Zen bike path alert technique into practice, I have had no incidences of the pedestrian swerving into my path due to bad reflexes or whatever, which I attribute to both a level of mental and physical mastery of technique achieved by only a select few practitioners of path-fu. OTOH I freely acknowledge that the female pedestrian who was facing me and made a point of NOT moving out of the way, forcing me off the path, annoyed this piss out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shall have to do a video post of how I typically pass pedestrians on paths nowadays. Hint. It works best on a cyclocross or mountain bike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In triathlons, riders who were more than 2 abreast were referred to be 'French drafting'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Video post MADE. Cyclocross bikes rule!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A general rule of etiquette is that one apologizes for the unfortunate occurrence, but the unthinkable is unmentionable.

    ReplyDelete