Friday, August 5, 2011

RE: WE STILL SURVIVE

FOR NASA CONTROL

01 00 50 IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA

WE CONTINUE TO SEND WORD FROM OUR STATION ON THE SURFACE OF THE SUN. IT IS DAY 35 OF OUR MISSION AND MORALE BEGINS TO WAVER ...

Okay, but in all seriousness, it is damn hot. If god is pre-heating America, we are gonna be cooked through, probably rendered utterly inedible unless god likes his meat well done. I'm a medium-rare girl myself but whatever floats your boat, oh invisible one. Cycling is the one thing Perry doesn't have to try to ruin around here—the weather does that for him. April, May, June and into July, it was beautiful. Perfect. But now ...

I'm soldiering on. A good old-fashioned heat wave won't get me (too far) down. Dallas is five weeks in to what looks to be a record-breaking summer. People with the "I survived the 1980 heatwave" t-shirts may have to update. The record stands at 42 days of consecutive triple-digit heat and the forecast has us poised to surpass that, which is kind of exciting. Unless day 41 craps out on us—it's only set to be 102°, which is a little too close for comfort. If we're gonna go this hot, we gotta go all the way.

And that was a very long setup for this: if you're going to set up a blog chronicling bike commuting in the big D, it might as well be smack in the middle of the hottest summer on record. I have, admittedly, been taking shelter in my car more than I would like, but heat stroke isn't a toy I like to play with. Two-wheeling it through one of the most bike un-friendly cities in one of the most bike-unfriendly states, though, leaves me with a lot of material and it's starting to annoy my friends. The vast void of the internet, though, I am free to annoy to my heart's content.

Annoy, tiny brunette one, annoy like the WIND!

So be prepared for an endless barrage of tales of the road, stories of life and the various anecdotes that come with being a little spot of blue in a bright red state. Ride with me as I dodge potholes (both literally and metaphorical) and yell back at the cabbies who refuse to recognize my right to the road. Boldly going where just a couple have gone before.

Bike Friendly DALLAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment